Learning to Love the Things you Hate

So another reason I love CrossFit (I'm starting to think I just need to do one big post about all the reasons I love it...) is that the workouts are always different, and they're always fun.

Yesterday's WOD (workout of the day) was to be done in teams of two. I was paired up with a very seasoned cross-fitter (you know one of those guys who makes kipping look like he's flying through the air with the greatest of ease). My partner last night was also one of the coaches at the gym (FYI, CrossFit gyms are called 'Boxes', but I don't feel like I've gained the right to use that terminology yet. One day...) so I definitely felt the need to push myself to keep up as much as possible.

Anyways, here is what our WOD looked like:


We started off with the 200m sprints followed by the med ball throws and so on. I used a 14# ball for the med ball throws, two 53# kettlebells for the farmer's carry, a 45# plate on the sled and 73# on the cleans. I'm still in the process of figuring out which weight I need to be using for each exercise.One of the many learning curves that comes with CrossFit I suppose.

Yesterday's workout was a blast and definitely challenging! I loved every minute of it. 

The first lesson I've learned from CrossFit: pace myself. I am very competitive by nature, but I am also still new to CrossFit. I want to push myself, but I don't want to hurt myself. It's important to listen to your body. It will tell you when to take it easy and when you can up the intensity. 

The second lesson I've learned from CrossFit: I gotta learn to love some of the things I hate. I'll admit it, I'm not a good runner. I pretty sure I sound like I'm about to keel over at any moment when I run. But that's the great thing about this sport, it highlights your strengths and weaknesses. It gives you something to improve upon. CrossFit...for the win! 

After my workout I came home, prepped my lunch for work today and made myself some dinner while I drank a protein shake. 

Dinner last night was a black bean veggie burger:


It's not the best picture, but I was getting impatient because I was starving! I topped it with some all natural ketchup and mustard, a slice of Go Veggie cheese and I used 2 slices of Ezekiel bread in lieu of a hamburger bun. It hit the spot!

Labels: