Happy Monday, everyone! I hope you all had a fantastic weekend!
The weather over the weekend here in Houston was rather dreary, so instead of going out we opted for a low key 'make your own pizza' night at our house on Saturday night.
I told Schoen I was planning on making homemade whole wheat pizza dough and a look of terror crossed his face. Schoen isn't a huge fan of whole wheat items (I just got him to like whole wheat pasta) so I decided to pick him up a pre-made pizza dough. After a quick trip to the grocery store to pick up yeast, his pre-made dough and a few other items, we were ready to rock and roll.
I started on my dough first because I wasn't sure how long it was going to take me.
I made sure to have a glass of wine on standby in case my first ever homemade dough making experience was a complete disaster. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was and that it only took me about 10 minutes to throw together.
This dough recipe makes two medium sized pizza's. I placed the remainder of my dough in a ziploc bag and threw it in the freezer for later use.
I'll share the recipe I used at the bottom of this post! It's definitely a keeper!
I chose to make a basil pesto, roma tomato and mozzarella pizza. I topped mine with fresh basil, red pepper flakes and some freshly cracked black pepper. Schoen opted for a pepperoni, mushroom, jalapeño and black olive pizza. He sautéed his mushrooms in a bit of olive oil, black pepper, red pepper flakes, sea salt and oregano. And as always, Roxie was on scrap duty in case we dropped anything!
I think we were both surprised at how yummy both of our pizza's turned out. We will definitely be making our own pizza's at home going forward for date night and I think you should too!
10 Minute Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- 1 cup very warm water (at least 110°)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 envelope rapid rise yeast
- 2¾ cup whole wheat flour (I used Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Flour)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Place oven rack in the top third of the oven and preheat oven to 500°
- In a bowl, whisk together water, sugar, oil and yeast. Allow the yeast mixture to proof for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large food processor combine flour, cheese and salt. Pulse until well combined.
- After the yeast has proofed for 5 minutes, turn the food processor to low and slowly add in the yeast mixture. Process until a ball of dough forms, about 1 minute.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead a few times until the dough comes together.
- Cut the ball of dough in half and freeze remainder if necessary.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to desired thickness.
- Add desired toppings.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Labels: Dinner, Houston, Recipes