Exploring Houston

Happy Monday, everyone! I hope you all had a fabulous weekend!

Get ready for a ton of pictures! Schoen and I spent the majority of the day in downtown Houston and I went a bit picture crazy.

Early Saturday morning I headed out the door to attend a 9am Body Pump Class.




Last week I stopped by our local YMCA and picked up a 7 day pass. They offer an expansive variety of group exercise classes so I'll be checking out their different classes all week. I used to do Body Pump almost every week when I went to Golds Gym back in Oklahoma so I was excited to see it on the schedule. The hour long class was a tough one, but the loud music and upbeat atmosphere made it fly by. I'm thinking it will be a Saturday morning staple going forward!

After class I headed home to eat breakfast and take a quick shower. The weather has been pretty crummy lately in Houston, but we wanted to get out of the house so we decided to head downtown to check out the Houston Aquarium. But first, lunch was in order. Schoen was craving a hamburger so we stopped at Smashburger on our way downtown.




I was still pretty full from breakfast, but I knew I would be hungry as soon as we got downtown if I didn't eat something. Schoen opted for a bacon cheese burger and I got a grilled chicken burger with avocado and tomatoes on a multigrain bun. It hit the spot!

After about a 40 minute drive, we arrived at the Downtown Aquarium.




With a lot of schools being on Spring Break, there were quite a few people there.




After a short wait in line, we purchased wristbands that would give us access to everything offered at the aquarium.




My favorite part of the aquarium was the Shark Voyage.





The Shark Voyage is a small train that takes you through the park and eventually through a tunnel where sharks swim all around you.













After exiting the tunnel we drove by a small pond and I was sitting on the left side of the train, closest to the water. We also happened to be in the very first car on the train.




As we were driving by, a robot shark popped out, shooting water everywhere. I screamed like a little girl. It was so much fun! 




After the Shark Voyage we roamed around the park for a bit and snapped a few pictures in some old school scuba gear. 






The aquarium was a great time and we'll definitely come back after we have kiddos. Luckily the weather was cooperating and although it was super cloudy, it wasn't raining. Since we were already downtown we decided to head to a local coffee shop for a late afternoon pick me up.

After a short 5 minute drive we arrived to Houston's Theater District. We parked the car and headed out on foot on a short 5 minute walk to the coffee shop. We stumbled on a fun mural on the way there.




Honeymoon is a local coffee shop and bar modeled after a speakeasy. It had great reviews on google so we decided to give it a shot.


 




I opted for a cappuccino and it was delicious!




After finishing our drinks at Honeymoon we headed down the street to a local Irish pub called Shay McElroy's. Anyone who knows my husband knows that he loves Irish whiskey so stopping here was a must!




I love day dates! It was such a blast exploring Houston together and seeing what this new city has to offer.

Sunday was spent doing absolutely nothing productive. We polished off season 3 of House of Cards and lounged on the couch all day with Mo. A perfect Sunday if you ask me! Have a wonderful Monday y'all!



Follow Along!

Labels: ,