Boy oh boy do I have a recipe for you today!
Late last week I picked up a few pounds of flank steak and I knew I wanted to make a salad with part of it. Since I was brought up in Asia
, I am a huge lover of Southeast Asian cuisine so I easily decided on a Thai inspired salad.
Spicy Thai Steak Salad
- Romaine Lettuce (as much as you'd like)
- 3 tbsp mango pico de gallo
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 avacado, diced
- 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 lb Flank Steak
- 1 tbsp peanut sauce
- 1 lime
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oil (canola or extra virgin)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade into a large zip loc bag
- Add the flank steak to the zip loc bag and massage with marinade. Place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight)
- Heat grill pan over medium high heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray
- Cook the steak about 5 minutes on each side, or until desired 'doneness' is reached
- Remove from grill and place on a cutting board
- While the steak rests, add your lettuce, pico, red onion and avocado to a large salad bowl (tip, squeeze lime juice on top of your avocado to prevent it from turning brown)
- Cut your steak against the grain and portion out 4oz
- Place steak on top of salad and top with peanut sauce, sesame seeds and a lime wedge, enjoy!
The mango pico de gallo I used had mango, jalapeño, cilantro and red onion in it. If you can't find mango pico, I would definitely recommend adding your own jalapeño, red onion and cilantro. I'm not a huge mango lover, so I wouldn't buy a mango specifically for this salad, but the sweetness complimented the spice of the peppers so well!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!