CPR/AED Certification

Yesterday my morning started off bright and early when my alarm went off at 5am. The hubby and I got up and headed to the gym and we each did 40 minutes of cardio on the StairMaster. When we got home I immediately jumped in the shower because I had to get downtown to take a CPR/AED class with the American Red Cross.


In order to attain your Primary Group Fitness certification through AFAA, you must have a current CPR/AED certification. The last time that I was certified was years ago and I knew a lot of the CPR guidelines had changed so I was excited to get an up-to-date certification. The normal price for the class is $70, but I found an online coupon and was able to enroll for $49 (hashtag thrifty). 

Since Houston traffic is atrocious and unpredictable, I left pretty early to give myself plenty of time to get downtown. I arrived about 30 minutes before our class was scheduled to start which gave me plenty of time to eat the breakfast I prepared for myself after we got home from the gym. 


After I ate, I headed inside to get checked in.


We were all given a text book to use during the course (we had to return it at the end) and a kit that included gloves and a CPR face shield. 


The class was a combination of videos and hands on practice with both a real life partner and one of the CPR dummies you see in the photo above. We were put into pairs and we had to practice rolling our partner from stomach to their backs. We also had to practice checking for breathing, opening their airway and placing them in the modified H.A.IN.E.S. position.

After our partner work we all got a CPR dummy and got to practice CPR breaths, chest compressions and how to properly operate and use an AED (Automated External Defibrillator).

I left the class feeling confident that I could assist someone in an emergency and I also learned a lot of very useful, new-to-me information. I think it's important to know the most recent guidelines for performing CPR because you never know when you may need to use it.

After my class I decided to stop by Trader Joe's since I was already downtown (there is not one near our house).


Unfortunately they didn't have anything that particularly caught my eye so I left empty handed. The rest of my afternoon was spent typing up this blog post and doing some more studying! And that's that!

I'll be back later this afternoon to share an awesome back workout I did earlier this week. It's a killer and my back is still sore. Stay tuned!

Labels: ,