No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter & Coconut Granola Bars

When life gives you lemons, make these granola bars.

No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter & Coconut Granola Bars

And then eat 15 of them like I did yesterday (hashtag I'm an emotional eater).


As you know, I have been studying my little butt off for my AFAA Primary Group Exercise Certification and my test was scheduled for this Sunday. Well, yesterday afternoon I got a phone call letting me know that the workshop and test has been cancelled. Womp womp.

AFAA said that it was most likely cancelled due to lack of enrollment or that the host facility itself chose to cancel for some reason. I have a few options to choose from including enrolling in another workshop at a later date or taking the written and practical exam online via webcam.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet so I'm going to think on it for a few days. Needless to say, I'm super bummed because I've put a lot of time and effort into preparing myself for this test. So, instead of sitting around pouting and feeling sorry for myself yesterday, I decided to whip up and then face plant into a huge pile of the most delicious granola bars in all the land.

No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter & Coconut Granola Bars

Oats, chocolate, peanut butter and coconut...can it get any better?

Why yes, yes it can because these little beauties also have chia seeds, flaxseed and medjool dates in them too.  

But wait, there's more! These are NO BAKE granola bars. 

Excuse me while I wipe the drool off of my face. 

No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter & Coconut Granola Bars

Chocolate Peanut Butter & Coconut No Bake Granola Bars

Recipe Inspired by Hummusapien's No Bake Peanut Butter Bars

Ingredients 
Directions
  1. Line a baking dish with parchment paper. I used a medium sized cake pan. 
  2. Put the pitted dates in a small bowl and pour in enough boiling water to completely cover them. Allow them to soak in the hot water for 10 minutes.
  3. While the dates soak, combine the oats, chia seeds, flaxseed, coconut and chocolate chips into a large bowl and set aside. 
  4. In a small sauce pan, add the peanut butter, brown rice syrup, and vanilla extract. 
  5. After the dates have soaked for 10 minutes, add 5 tablespoons of the soaking water to a blender along with the softened dates. Discard the remaining water. 
  6. Blend the dates and water until combined. This will be a very thick mixture. 
  7. Add the date mixture to the peanut butter mixture and stir the mixture in the saucepan over medium heat until well combined and warmed through. 
  8. Pour the wet mixture into the oat mixture and stir until well combined. 
  9. Pour the mixture into the baking dish. Use another piece of parchment paper to help flatten out the mixture into an even layer, making sure to press firmly. 
  10. Allow the bars to set in the freezer for about 2 hours.
  11. Cut into squares or bars and enjoy! 

Labels: , ,