6 Tips You Need to Know When Using MyFitnessPal

Whether you are just starting your fitness journey, or you are 5 years into it, I highly suggest keeping track of the foods you eat on a daily basis. There are a ton of apps out there to help you with this but I am a huge fan of MyFitnessPal. It's super easy to use and has a HUGE library of foods in it already. 

I have been using this app for many years, but I know it can be a bit overwhelming if you're using it for the first time, especially if you just started tracking your macros. Here are few tips that I found extremely helpful and I think you will too! 

6 Tips You Need to Know When Using MyFitnessPal

#1 Use 'USDA' when searching for a food:

6 Tips You Need to Know When Using MyFitnessPal

Although MyFitnessPal has a huge library of foods, I've found that some of them are not accurate. I've found that if I add 'USDA' into the search field, the results are much more reliable. Just make sure you are selecting the correct amount, or changing the serving size to what you plan on eating. 


#2 Do NOT input your workouts for the day if following IIFYM:

6 Tips You Need to Know When Using MyFitnessPal

If you are following IIFYM, do NOT input your exercise into your daily diary. When you calculated you macros, you factored in your daily activity levels. If you input your workouts, it will mess up your numbers and you will end up going over all of your macros. 

#3 Use the barcode scanner as much as you can:

6 Tips You Need to Know When Using MyFitnessPal

6 Tips You Need to Know When Using MyFitnessPal

The barcode scanner MyFitnessPal has is a lifesaver. It makes entering new foods so incredibly easy and it is much faster than entering a food manually. 

#4 Use .5 or .25 servings if you need to:

6 Tips You Need to Know When Using MyFitnessPal
Just because a serving size of peanut butter is 2 tablespoons doesn't mean you have to eat 2 tablespoons. I use .5 and .25 serving sizes (as seen above) all the time. 

#5 If dining out, search for the restaurant:

6 Tips You Need to Know When Using MyFitnessPal

Last Friday I met Schoen for a lunch date at BJ's Brewhouse. I typed the restaurant name into MyFitnessPal and it already had a ton of dishes stored into the library.  However, the dish I was planning on ordering, the Fire Roasted Barbacoa Chicken, wasn't listed. But it never hurts to look. I hopped on to their website and found all of the nutrition information and had it entered in less than 5 minutes. And, if we go back, it will be in the library for me to enter next time. So easy! 


#6 Enable Multi-Add by Default

6 Tips You Need to Know When Using MyFitnessPal

Hop on over to your Diary Settings and make sure 'Use Multi-Add by Default' is checked. 

6 Tips You Need to Know When Using MyFitnessPal

This will allow you to add multiple items at once and you'll be able to log a meal much quicker! 

Labels: