Safety has been on the forefront of my mind ever since I started training for my first half marathon. If you missed the recap of my first week of training, you can find it here. I've made sure to make safety my priority while training. Here are some things I've done to ensure I have safe runs:
1. While I typically don't run alone, I ordered some pepper spray on amazon last week which I'll be carrying with me on all my runs.
I test fired it in our backyard to make sure it worked properly. I think pepper spray is a good thing to have on you everyday, even if you aren't running or exercising outside. Just make sure you don't fire it into the wind because it could blow back into your own eyes.
2. In addition to the pepper spray, I also purchased an SPI belt. I can put my car keys in it (so I don't risk losing them on my run) and my drivers license that way I always have identification on me.
3. I also make sure that I change up the direction and routes that I run that way it is hard to know my running schedule. Some days I will start my runs in a counter clockwise direction from my starting point, other days I'll go clockwise.
4. I always let my husband know where and how long I plan on running that way he will know how long to expect me to be gone.
5. I enabled safety assistance on my phone which allows me to alert certain contacts that I am in an emergency situation.
6. I never
post screen shots of my MapMyRun workouts on social media. Because The Fit Chocoholic's Twitter
platforms are not set to private, I make sure I never post where I am running on them for strangers to see.
7. I took advantage of tax free weekend and picked up a few more workout tanks last Saturday. They are all brightly colored that way I am easy for drivers and other runners to spot.
What are some of your safety tips for running?
Labels: Fitness, Half Marathon