Mini BBQ Turkey Meatloaves

So, my husband LOVES meatloaf. Loves it. I'm also a big fan of it because I grew up eating it almost weekly, so it is definitely a comfort food for me. However, I'm not a big fan of cooking with red meat. Aside from the occasional steak, red meat is not typically in my diet. Turkey on the other hand, is a staple in our house. I had a pound of ground turkey in our fridge that was begging to be cooked, so I decided to attempt a turkey meatloaf. Actually, mini meatloaves.

Mini BBQ Turkey Meatloaves


I'm not going to lie, I was almost convinced that it was going to be a flavorless disaster. I was scared to tell Schoen that I was making a meatloaf with (gasp!) turkey instead of beef. I was also convinced that it was going to be dry as all get out due to the leanness of the meat.

Mini BBQ Turkey Meatloaves

You guys, I was wrong. Wrong about it all. These mini turkey meatloaves are heaven. They're moist and totally delicious. Now, they may not be the prettiest dish I have ever made, but the flavor totally makes up for the way they look when they come out of the oven.

Mini BBQ Turkey Meatloaves

We ate them along side some of my oven baked sweet potato hash and it was a more than stellar meal.

I posted a picture of these little guys on Facebook yesterday and had a few people request the recipe...so here ya go!
Mini BBQ Turkey Meatloaves

Ingredients
Directions
  1. Pre-Heat Oven to 425°
  2. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray (I used a 6 muffin pan). 
  3. Add the olive oil and onions to a sauté pan and cook on medium low for about 20 minutes until the onions are super soft and starting to caramelize. They should be a light brown color. 
  4. After the onions have cooked for 20 minutes, add in the minced garlic and sauté for about 1 minute. 
  5. Add the garlic and onion mixture into a large bowl and stir with a spoon to cool down the mixture a bit.
  6. Once the onion mixture has cooled, add the ground turkey, breadcrumbs egg, ½ of the barbecue sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper. 
  7. Using your hands, mix to combine.
  8. Add half of the mixture into all 6 muffin cups, pressing firmly. The meat mixture should only reach half way up each muffin cup. 
  9. Sprinkle a little cheese on top of each meat loaf mixture.
  10. Add the other half of the meat mixture on top of the cheese, pressing firmly. 
  11. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes.
  12. Pull the meatloaves out of the oven and top with the remainder of the barbecue sauce. 
  13. Bake an additional 5 minutes until the barbecue sauce is slightly caramelized. 

Labels: